Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Other Ski Resort – Hidden Valley

So, I and Your Annoyingly-Good-Snowboarding Husband have been love, love, loving all this snow. We thought moving back from New England that we had seen the last of nice long days of snow, but no! Here we are in a long cold snap and I couldn’t be happier. Now, of course, the one thing we’re missing is access to the vast array of NE ski resorts (our fav – Jay Peak). But not to complain, at least there are options around and our choice was Hidden Valley. I know…why Hidden Valley? Well, here is my case for choosing that Other western PA ski resort.

#1. Price. Like any good entrepreneur, I’m scrounging and saving and just can’t see putting down $45+ on certain other nearby ski resorts when Hidden Valley is only $25 weekdays and $30 on Fridays!! You can’t beat that!

#2. Conditions. (Note that I’m not talking trail quality, I’m talking conditions.) We thought the snow was pretty decent for where we are and compared to what it used to be. There was a decent base and a few spots of powder (some actually deep for this area). Hidden Valley has a surprising number of what look like fairly new snow guns, so they’re putting money into the right places. Husband was surprised to see that the half pipe is in the same location that it was in 1994. I, myself, always enjoying hitting the baby terrain parks and HV’s was fun, although limited.

#3. Ambiance. What I have always liked about Hidden Valley is it’s low-stress feel and general sense of fun. I’m not going to lose anyone on the mountain here for hours. You can be confident that of where your kids are and that they probably aren’t in that much trouble, and you can actually find a place to sit inside.

Overall, I think Hidden Valley is great for beginners and young families, or anyone that just wants to get out but doesn’t need to take it too seriously. It’s a decent, nearby, and well-priced option and I had a great time. I was also happy to establish for the second year in a row that I am a better winter athlete than Husband, since I can now ski AND snowboard competently. If he wants to catch up he has to learn to ski, and good luck with that!

P.S. On a shocking note, I didn’t see one (not one!) skier in jeans and a leather jacket. What’s happened here? No Steelers garb either, which I am actually all for, despite our past season record.

P.P.S. It was also music to my ears to hear the occasional Pittsburgh accent (I’m going dahn that hill) and no Boston/New York shouting, cell-phone-talking skiers. I’m just being honest here; if you’ve been there, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment